Area: 48,652 acres
Elevation: 80 - 2,200 ft.
Precipitation: 39 in per year along coast
70 in per year inland Temperature: Max: 100 F - Min: 25 F
Jackson is the largest of CAL FIRE's eight demonstration state forests. Located in the middle of California's coastal redwood region, on the western edge of Mendocino County at Fort Bragg. The area has a long history of industrial logging activity, which began in 1862 and continued under private ownership until the State's purchase of the property in 1947. Today, more forest growth occurs each year than is harvested. The most common tree on the forest is coast redwood, but visitors will also find Douglas fir, grand fir, hemlock, bishop pine, tanoak, alder, madrone and bay myrtle.
Three demonstration trails have been developed with trail guides to inform visitors about the ecology, history and management of the redwood forest. There are also numerous hiking trails situated in historically and ecologically interesting settings, such as the Waterfall Grove Trail and the Forest History Trail. Recreational activities include camping, hiking, biking, horseback riding, swimming and picnicking.
Seasonal camping is offered mid-May through September, weather dependent. There are two main overnight camping areas with a number of campsites, including equestrian camps. Camping fees are collected at self-registration stations located in the campgrounds. Camping fees will be used to support the recreation program including costs associated with maintenance and improvement of campgrounds and facilites, signage, roads, trails, etc. Campsites have picnic tables, fire rings, and pit toilets. There is no water at the campsites or day use areas. Pets are allowed but must be on a leash. Permits are required for overnight camping and group events, firewood cutting and mushroom harvesting. Fees will also be implemented for recreation events requiring special use permits such as organized bike and equestrian rides and races.
Hunting is allowed in season. No fishing is allowed per Department of Fish and Game rules.
For More Information
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
Jackson Demonstration State Forest
802 North Main
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Cribwall #2 2015 Timber Sale
- Cribwall #2 Timber Sale Prospectus
- Cribwall #2 Timber Sale General Location
- Cribwall #2 Timber Sale Notice of Sale
- Cribwall #2 Timber Sale Bid Form
- Cribwall #2 Timber Sale Agreement
- Cribwall #2 Timber Sale Summary of Sale Information
- Cribwall #2 Timber Sale Stand and Stock Table
Fairbanks 2015 Timber Sale
- Fairbanks Timber Sale Prospectus
- Fairbanks Timber Sale - Addendum 1 (IFB)
- Fairbanks Timer Sale Pre-Bid Tour Q & A
- Fairbanks Timber Sale General Location
- Fairbanks Notice of Sale
- Fairbanks Timber Sale Bid Form
- Fairbanks Timber Sale Agreement
- Fairbanks Timber Sale Summary of Sale Information
- Fairbanks Timber Sale Stand and Stock Table
Peterson Gulch 2015 Timber Sale
- Peterson Gulch Timber Sale Prospectus
- Peterson Gulch Timber Sale -Addendum 2 (IFB)
- Peterson Gulch Timber Sale General Location
- Peterson Gulch Notice of Sale
- Peterson Gulch Timber Sale Bid Form
- Peterson Gulch Timber Sale Agreement
- Peterson Gulch Timber Sale Summary of Sale Information
- Peterson Gulch Timber Sale Stand and Stock Table